We meet at the Stobb House
at Swanton Ranch Friday at 2:30 p.m.
Three hours is plenty of time for the drive, but figure in some time
for lunch and grocery shopping on the way.
At 3:00 Friday we’ll leave for our first guided field trip to see the
Cattle Stocking Operation on the pastures overlooking the ocean. At
4:15 p.m. we'll have another rendezvous at the Red House, on Swanton Road,
just beyond the turnoff to Stobb House indicated below. This is the location
of the Swanton Railroad Museum. From here we'll get a tour of the forestry
operations on Little Creek. If you arrive too late for this, just wait around
Stobb house. We'll meet there around 6:00 p.m. to make dinner and for evening
activities planned by our social committee. Saturday Morning
around 8:00 am we'll take a walk on the beach and come back to the Bunkhouse
at 9:00 in time for a tour of the Creek restoration project and the forestry
project. In the late morning on Saturday we'll get a tour and ride on the
Swanton Railroad. Planned activities will end around 1:30 p.m. on Saturday .
I will be driving the
Forestry Department's Blazer to Swanton and back, leaving from the Campus
Store at 11 am Friday morning. I'll have room for four passengers. I'll be
carrying my cell phone. You can try to reach me any time during this trip
at 805 783 0401, though I'm not sure of the reception up there in the Santa
I will be driving the Forestry Department's Blazer to Swanton and back, leaving from the Campus Store at 11 am Friday morning. I'll have room for four passengers. I'll be carrying my cell phone. You can try to reach me any time during this trip at 805 783 0401, though I'm not sure of the reception up there in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
We will be preparing supper, breakfast and lunch at the Stobb house which has a full kitchen and barbeque facilities. Each carload should bring enough food and beverage for these three meals; there wont
be time to go into town.
1. 101 North to Hwy 156, north
2. Through Castroville to Hwy 1 North
3. Follow Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz
4. Follow the signs to Hwy 1 Half Moon Bay
5. This will take you through the town of Santa Cruz on Mission Street.
6. Mission Street will turn back into Hwy 1
7. Continue Hwy 1 through the town of Davenport
8. Approximately 2 miles from Davenport turn right on Swanton Road
9. Drive past the "Casa Verde" and barn on left, and pass the CDForestry station and field on right.
10. 200 yards past CDF station, turn right onto the paved driveway with the mailbox
11. This turns into a dirt road.
When it splits, take the right hand fork and continue
to the end, where you will see a clearing with Yurts and an old Farm House.
This is home.
The map shows the tricky section of the trip between
Prunedale and Castroville. Before Prunedale you pass through Salinas on
101 north; after Castroville you stay on Highway 1 north through Santa
Cruz to Swanton.